e mërkurë, 17 tetor 2007

Bob Dylan - Dylan's Roots –East Orange & Chapter Hall, 1961



Bob Dylan - Dylan's Roots –East Orange & Chapter Hall, 1961

1990 | Classic Rock | mp3 128kbps | 62mb

A wonderful 'must-have' CD bootleg for anyone interested in the beginnings of a legend. It contains the complete circulating tapes of two historic 1961 recordings! These are two amazing recordings of the very young Dylan made in early and late 1961, respectively, and include Dylan’s first concert performance!

These are two amazing recordings of the very young Dylan made in early and late 1961, respectively, and include Dylan’s first concert performance!



The first recording was that from East Orange, NJ in March 1961 and the latter that from Carnegie Chapter Hall, NY in November 1961.



East Orange was recorded in the East Orange, New Jersey home of Bob & Sid Gleason, and is often referred to as [img]the Gleason tape. It was recorded on amateur 1950's equipment, and although the quality is not what one could expect of modern recording processes, it is still quite good.



Chapter Hall was Dylan's first venture out of the Village coffee houses onto a real concert stage. A massive 53 tickets were sold at $2 each for the 200 seat hall. Historians differ on the actual head count, but it was most likely around 75 or so. Again, even though this is a line recording, there were limitations on the mobile recording equipment available at the time.



Traditional folksongs and blues are the order of the day. The fundamental and enduring influences on Dylan are clearly evident even in these early days – including Woody Guthrie, Jimmie Rodgers, Leadbelly and the other Blues boys and, of course, Irish, Scottish and Appalachian folk.

Although not exactly verbose here, we still catch glimpses Dylan’s wit and humour – see the Liam Clancy intro to Young But Daily Growin'.

There is already an idiosyncratic approach to performing and some strong interpretative performances e.g. Bukka White’s great Fixin to Die ;

Feeling funny in my mind, Lord,
I believe I'm fixing to die, fixing to die
Feeling funny in my mind, Lord
I believe I'm fixing to die
Well, I don't mind dying
But I hate to leave my children crying
Well, I look over yonder to that burying ground
Look over yonder to that burying ground
Sure seems lonesome, Lord, when the sun goes down

Feeling funny in my eyes, Lord,
I believe I'm fixing to die, fixing to die
Feeling funny in my eyes, Lord
I believe I'm fixing to die
Well, I don't mind dying but
I hate to leave my children crying
There's a black smoke rising, Lord
It's rising up above my head, up above my head
It's rising up above my head, up above my head
And tell Jesus make up my dying bed.

I'm walking kind of funny, Lord
I believe I'm fixing to die, fixing to die
Yes I'm walking kind of funny, Lord
I believe I'm fixing to die
Fixing to die, fixing to die
Well, I don't mind dying
But I hate to leave my children crying.

- Bukka White




It’s fascinating to get a glimpse into the first tottering steps in the genesis of a genius and in the gestation of the groundbreaking and enduring songwriter of modern music.



At this very early stage, we can see the impeccable musical taste of the young Dylan and his attempts to put his personal stamp on these classics. It’s amazing to consider the speed of Dylan’s development from this point. It would not be long at all before Bob’s own songwriting came into supreme fruition.



Here we see him as essentially an interpretative cover artist, but a surprising speed of development would enable Dylan to very soon indeed explode like a comet onto the music scene with his unique and unprecedented ability to absorb and infinitely expand upon these and other great influences in his own magnificent songwriting craft.

This fascinating period is discussed in some detail, as well as wonderfully and beautifully, in Dylan’s majestic Chronicles Volume I - a good audio reading of which by Sean Sean Penn can be found here; Chronicles I.html



Tracklisting:

San Francisco Bay Blues (Jesse Fuller)
Jesus Met The Woman At The Well (Trad)
Gypsy Davey (Trad-Guthrie arr)
Pastures Of Plenty (Woody Guthrie)
Trail Of The Buffalo (Trad-Guthrie arr)
Jesse James (Trad)
Car Car (Woody Guthrie)
Southern Cannonball (Jimmie Rodgers)
Bring Me Back My Blue-Eyed Boy (Trad)
Remember Me (Scott Wiseman)
(East Orange)

Pretty Peggy-O (Trad arr Dylan)
In The Pines (Leadbelly)
Gospel Plow (Trad)
1913 Massacre (Woody Guthrie)
Backwater Blues (Bessie Smith)
Young But Daily Growin' (Trad)
Fixin' To Die (White)
(Chapter Hall)



Review from bobsboots:

A wonderful 'must-have' CD for anyone interested in the beginnings of a legend. It contains the complete circulating tapes of two historic 1961 recordings …. Highly recommended.





Here she be dylanite dogs; Dylan's Roots.rar

Pass; dublindog

Nuk ka komente: